Westerhope Golf Club
The Course itself is a challenging 18 hole Parkland layout measuring 6392 yards from the medal tees. Originally designed by Sandy Herd, who won the Open Championship in 1902, the course provides a searching test of golf, without being too demanding physically or too intimidating for the higher handicap golfer. It is a tribute to the foresight and knowledge of Sandy Herd that to this day the layout of Westerhope Golf Club remains substantially the same as his original design. In 1938 Newburn Urban District Council decided to create a Municipal Golf Course for use by local people. Land was purchased from North Walbottle Coal Company Limited at Whorlton Grange Farm near Westerhope Village for £5000. In April 1940 work began on the Course but only 9 holes could be made due to war time restrictions. The Course formally opened on 21st June 1941. Eventually in 1951 the Course was made up to 18 holes. Over the years Westerhope has played host to the Men's and Ladies Northumberland County Championships on numerous occasions. County matches and PGA Pro-Ams are regularly hosted at the Club. After the Golf enjoy the comfortable and friendly Clubhouse and bar and take advantage of some wonderful catering in the restaurant.