The history of the Kilkenny Golf Club dates back to 1896 but it did not move to its current location until 1923, where it was redesigned with sand-based USGA standard greens. In combination with the free draining soil, they new greens allow the golf course to be played year-round. The course is a parkland layout covered with an abundance of trees, which come into play along the fairways. Despite being mostly flat, there is some undulation on the greens. The layout has several demanding par-3 holes but the most final four holes plus the par-4 11th present the greatest challenges. The 10th hole is notable for its scenery. On this tee, golfers will find a 'Fulacht Fiadh,' or an ancient Irish kitchen. This cooking structure, which dates back to the Bronze Age, is comprised of small pieces of stone molded into horse-shaped mounds situated close to marshy ground. Kilkenny Golf Club's popular but challenging layout is a popular venue for regional play-offs and tournaments.