Clandeboye is a 36 hole inland complex of championship calibre in a setting of rare beauty. Only 12 miles from Belfast, it was created in 1933 by William Renwick Robinson, a local linen merchant with a love of golf and a flair for landscaping. His faith, horses, hard labour and a sound personal knowledge of the technical problems involved moved mountains of soil, boulders, bracken and gorse to lay the foundations of what has now become one of the most challenging golfing tracts in Ireland. Rich in historical association the name Clandeboye is anglicised from the Gaelic. In the year 559 the monks of St Comgalls Bangor monastery grazed their flocks on what is now the Dufferin course. To this very day the legendary Conns Stone, (Conlig in the Gaelic) still remains standing between the sixteenth green and the seventeenth tee. The original Clandeboye course played host to all the major Irish championships until the early 1970s when, after very fierce argument among club members, Robinsons original layout was changed. The present Dufferin Course emerged from a design by German architect Baron Von Limburger in association with former Ryder Cup stars Dave Thomas and Peter Allis. Visitors are always made genuinely welcome at Clandeboye and are encouraged to participate in the regular Open Competitions organised on both courses.